Sunday, March 1, 2015

Nourished By the Word of God

In the Book of John we read an interchange between the Savior and a woman from Samaria.

“Then cometh he to a city of Samaria, which is called Sychar, near to the parcel of ground that Jacob gave to his son Joseph.

 Now Jacob’s well was there. Jesus therefore, being wearied with his journey, sat thus on the well: and it was about the sixth hour.

“There cometh a woman of Samaria to draw water: Jesus saith unto her, Give me to drink.

“(For his disciples were gone away unto the city to buy meat.)

“Then saith the woman of Samaria unto him, How is it that thou, being a Jew, askest drink of me, which am a woman of Samaria? for the Jews have no dealings with the Samaritans.

“Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water.

“The woman saith unto him, Sir, thou hast nothing to draw with, and the well is deep: from whence then hast thou that living water?

“Art thou greater than our father Jacob, which gave us the well, and drank thereof himself, and his children, and his cattle?

“Jesus answered and said unto her, Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again:

“But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life….

“The woman saith unto him, I know that Messias cometh, which is called Christ: when he is come, he will tell us all things.

“Jesus saith unto her, I that speak unto thee am he(John 4:5-14, 25-26).

As the woman listened to Jesus speak, her understanding of who He was progressed from man, to Jew, to prophet, to the Messiah. As we partake of these living waters we can spiritually progress in like manner.

One way to partake of these living waters is to daily drink from the Lord’s word, found in the Holy Scriptures and the words of the living prophet and apostles. 

Nephi taught us to “feast upon the words of Christ” (2 Nephi 32:3), and Elder Dallin H. Oaks explained,

“The idea that scripture reading can lead to inspiration and revelation opens the door to the truth that a scripture is not limited to what it meant when it was written but may also include what that scripture means to a reader today….

“Because we believe that scripture reading can help us receive revelation, we are encouraged to read the scriptures again and again. By this means, we obtain access to what our Heavenly Father would have us know and do in our personal lives today. That is one reason Latter-day Saints believe in daily scripture study” (link to article).

We have also been counseled to “study the scriptures daily and with real intent, seeking to be ‘nourished by the good word of God’“ (link to lesson).

How does one seek for nourishment from the scriptures? 

Throughout my life I have tried to make scripture study a daily habit. I have not always been successful, but have continued to try to develop that habit until it has become an essential part of my day. There have been times where I have found comfort from the words of the scriptures, and other times I have felt chastised. Let me share a few examples. 

There was a time in my life when I was struggling with money. I was trying to be obedient, and to do all the right things, but I was unable to figure out how to make ends meet. I remember praying to find help. After praying I started to read my scriptures. I had been reading in the Book of Mormon, and opened my scriptures to my bookmark. I read,

“And thus we can behold how false, and also the unsteadiness of the hearts of the children of men; yea, we can see that the Lord in his great infinite goodness doth bless and prosper those who put their trust in him” (Helaman 12:1).

I almost felt chastised for my frustration because I had forgotten to trust the Lord. I felt that the Lord was letting me know that if I trusted in Him that everything would work out. I don’t remember all the details, but I do remember that everything did work out. 

Another time I was struggling with something that I knew I was supposed to be doing, but wasn’t sure how to make everything work. I prayed to receive guidance, and turned to my scriptures. I opened to the story of Lehi telling Nephi that he and his brothers needed to head back to Jerusalem to pick up the brass plates. Nephi responded,

“I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them” (1 Nephi 3:7).

The thing that I was asking about was something we have been commanded to do, so I knew that it was right. I felt the Lord was letting me know that He would prepare a way. Elder David A. Bednar taught,

“In many of the uncertainties and challenges we encounter in our lives, God requires us to do our best, to act and not be acted upon, and to trust in Him” (link to talk).

I acted, by praying for further guidance with the intent to move forward on whatever answer I received. As I prayed, ideas and thoughts of things that I could do came to mind. As I acted on them, I saw the way open before me. 

During another time of my life I was struggling with my calling in the church. I was having a problem with people not wanting to do all that was required of them, thereby leaving the burden on others. I was wondering if there was anything I could do or say. I opened my scriptures and read,

“wherefore I would exhort you that ye deny not the power of God; for he worketh by power, according to the faith of the children of men, the same today and tomorrow, and forever” (Moroni 10:7).

They were under my stewardship, and I felt that the Lord was telling me to let them know that they needed to put their faith in Him. If they did, He would work miracles for them in their lives.

The last example I want to share happened when I was trying to find a balance between doing something that was spiritually essential—finding time to read scriptures—and those things that I needed to do—take care of my young family. A scripture came to my mind, “Suffer [the] little children, and forbid them not” (Matthew 19:14). I then had a specific idea of something that I could do to balance my time.

What a blessing to have personal guidance from the scriptures in our lives!

Bishop Dean M. Davies taught,

“Searching the scriptures on a daily basis will…fortify our faith and character. Just as we need food to nourish our physical bodies, our spirits and souls will be replenished and strengthened by feasting upon the words of Christ as contained in the writings of the prophets. Nephi taught, ‘Feast upon the words of Christ; for behold, the words of Christ will tell you all things what ye should do’.

“While reading the scriptures is good, reading by itself is insufficient to capture the full breadth and depth of the Savior’s teachings. Searching, pondering, and applying the words of Christ as taught in the scriptures will bring wisdom and knowledge beyond our mortal understanding. This will strengthen our commitment and provide the spiritual reserves to do our best in all situations” (link to talk).

President Thomas S. Monson stated,

“The words of truth and inspiration found in our four standard works are prized possessions to me. I never tire of reading them. I am lifted spiritually whenever I search the scriptures. These holy words of truth and love give guidance to my life and point the way to eternal perfection.

“As we read and ponder the scriptures, we will experience the sweet whisperings of the Spirit to our souls. We can find answers to our questions. We learn of the blessings which come through keeping God’s commandments. We gain a sure testimony of our Heavenly Father and our Savior, Jesus Christ, and of Their love for us. When scripture study is combined with our prayers, we can of a certainty know that the gospel of Jesus Christ is true” (link to talk).

President Gordon B. Hinckley declared,

“I urge our people everywhere to read the scriptures more—to study all of them together….

“May the Lord bless each of us to feast upon his holy word and to draw from it that strength, that peace, that knowledge ‘which passeth all understanding’, as he has promised” (link to talk).

As we come to value the scriptures that we have we will begin to recognize the fountain of living water that is readily available to each and every one of us. Understanding the power the comes from daily feasting on the word of God will give us greater strength to enjoy, overcome, and endure the challenges and trials that are a part of our mortal life. May we strive to make the study of the word of God an essential part of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment